19 February 2017

Making Onigiri, Third Attempt

In this new blog post, it's my third write-up of my onigiri making. Unlike my last two posts where I used my hands to mould the onigiri, this time I used a sheet of cling wrap to mould it, as it was much cleaner and it doesn't make my hands sticky.

To begin with, my elder sister, her husband and daughter visited my house this morning; I was thinking of serving them some food that I can make and decided to make some onigiri. And so, later in the afternoon, I went to a mini market and bought the same ingredients for the onigiri: tuna, mayonnaise and seaweed.

MAKING THE ONIGIRI


I started by cooking a cup of rice first, then I mixed the tuna and mayonnaise in a plate as shown above. This time, I have bought and used two mayonnaise packets, hence the creamy appearance.



Once the rice has began to cool down, I took a roll of cling wrap and another similar plate and moistened it with some water.


Next, I tore a sheet of the cling wrap and placed it on the plate.



After that, I scooped some rice and spread them evenly in the plate...



...and finally, I scooped the tuna mayo and placed it in the centre of the rice.

Now is the time to mould the onigiri.



By holding at the ends of the cling wrap, I made a 'bunjut' shape and tapered the ends, making sure that the cling wrap has no openings. Then, I moulded the rice...



...and this is the end result: a rounded triangular shape.



To complete the onigiri making process, I took a strip of seaweed and placed it on a small plate. Next, I took the moulded rice ball and placed it on the seaweed and finally, folded the seaweed.



This is the final result: a perfect, rounded triangular-shaped tuna mayo onigiri.

I repeated the same process for the second onigiri and finally, served them for my sister and her husband.

The two onigiri I made.

Taken from another angle.

CONCLUSION

So what does my sister and husband say about this onigiri? It was good, although my sister was quite surprised by the size of the onigiri I made and suggested that I make it smaller. The best thing about this? They both don't need to buy any food later, since one onigiri is enough to make them feel full!

Based on my observation, I noticed some mayonnaise from the tuna mayo at the bottom part of the onigiri while I was moulding it. So, by using a cling wrap to mould the onigiri, it is cleaner and it doesn't make my hands sticky. Not only that, the use of the cling wrap doesn't make the rice stick to the plastic at all.

Although there are onigiri moulds available, I still don't know whether I might buy and use them, since I can now make a nicely-shaped onigiri just by using the cling wrap. Still, there are drawbacks when using the cling wrap such as its tendency to crumple and stick easily.

And that's all there is to write.

RemainUnknown522 Out.