06 February 2017

DIY Project: Tin Can Dashboard Camera Mount

As I loved driving, I would often think of recording a video of my driving. It all started in 2010 after I watched videos in the YouTube channel 'takashisupreme' (Touge-G Official), where it shows video footages of drivers taking part in Touge driving at Genting Highlands.

Back then, I would use my old Sakure TR-32 tripod to mount a camera for the recording and fixed the tripod at the back seat of my car for it. By doing this, I managed to record a backseat passenger's view of my driving. Unfortunately, it was difficult to attach and remove the tripod, and it was also quite risky.

Then there's the 'Dash Cam', which is essentially a camera mounted at a car's dashboard. However, since I have owned a camera good enough to record quality videos, I only need to either buy a camera mount or make my own.

And so, yesterday, I finally discovered a way to make a car dashboard camera mount from old and unused items, and it also works just fine.


ITEMS NEEDED


Here are the items needed for this DIY project:
  • One empty, small tin can with airtight lid, usually given to guests at wedding ceremonies in Malaysia. Any colour will do.
  • Double-sided tape
  • Old tripod camera plate
  • Marker Pen / Sharpie (not shown in the photo)

MAKING THE CAMERA MOUNT

First, cut four strips of double-sided tape of different lengths; Two long and two short strips. Use the lid of the tin can as the camera mount's base and apply the tape as firmly as possible.

This is how it should look like.
Next, attach the tripod camera plate onto the camera and align the camera at the bottom part of the tin can, making sure that the lens appears exactly at the centre. Use a marker pen to mark the bottom part of the tin can where the tripod camera plate would be placed.

This is how the tripod camera plate would be placed on the camera.

Here, the bottom of the tin can has four narrow strips of double-sided tape and has been marked and written with a marker pen (written here as front and right). 

Thirdly, remove the camera from the tripod camera plate, cut narrow strips of double-sided tape and paste them onto the bottom of the tripod camera plate. Reattach the camera onto the plate and press it firmly on the bottom of the tin can where it was marked with a marker pen.

Finally, put the tin can's lid back onto the tin can and align carefully on the car dashboard. Once it is correctly aligned, press firmly until it sticks onto the dashboard.

This is how it looked like after some alignment.

TESTING AND RESULTS

After making the mount, I decided to test it by recording a video and taking a photo. Although I can't upload a video here, at least I do have two 16:9 photo examples on how the video recording should look like.

This 16:9 photo shows how the video should look like when the camera is facing front.

As I used a tin can for this, I also found out that I can actually pan the camera too! In fact, this DIY camera mount I made can be used to record the driver itself!

One can pan the camera by turning the tin can, here the camera is facing the driver.
This 16:9 photo shows how the video should look like when the camera is facing the driver.

CONCLUSION

To conclude this writing, I am personally satisfied with the results. The camera mount is stable, and the best thing is, it can be turned (pan) to face in any direction, including the driver.

Are there any drawbacks for this camera mount? Yes, unfortunately.

First of all, the pan feature is quite tight, and one may need to remove the tin can to pan the camera. The use of double-sided tape may leave some adhesive residue on the dashboard when one might want to remove the whole mount completely. Still, this is the only way I can make is stay so that it doesn't move out of its place. Not only that, the frequent attaching and removing the tripod plate will also weaken the adhesive on the double-sided tape too. The final drawback is that it cannot absorb the strong vibrations from the car and it may damage the camera.

Also, based on my video testing I made earlier (I can't upload it here, though), I found out that I can't use my camera during hot weather, as it heats up the camera quickly to the point that the temperature warning icon showed up.

And that concludes my DIY Project writing.


RemainUnknown522 Out.