08 December 2016

Penang Trip, Day Three, 02/12/2016: Meeting My Relatives

View from second floor of Ar-Raudhah hotel on Day Three.

Continued from Day Two, this article is about Day Three of my Penang Trip. On that day, we went to visit our relatives at noon; in the evening, I went with my mother for a walk. As this is about a visit to my relatives' house, there are some photos that I've decided not to publish here. Unfortunately, this also makes it the most boring of the three Penang Trip blog posts...


MORNING

Before going for a visit to our relatives' house, we went for a breakfast at a nearby food establishment called Wheat Connection. It was both a bakery and cafe, where it serves cakes, bread and even rice (at lunch).

Outside.

Inside.

After sitting down, we ordered our breakfast. We had our drinks served first, then our food. Services were somewhat slow, but I can't complaint about the food, though.

This is what I ordered for breakfast. This meal comes with two drinks: one cold drink (orange or mango cordial) and one hot drink (coffee or tea).
This is Wheat Connection's cinnamon roll.

I also bought a cinnamon roll from the cafe, as I haven't tried any of their bakery items yet.


AFTERNOON

We left hotel at 10:48 a.m. after we've had our breakfast for our relatives' house located at Teluk Tempoyak. Unfortunately, we were expected to leave earlier but we ended up being late; what's more, it was Friday, and on that day, men can't be late before 1:00 p.m.

Penang Second Bridge.

We arrived at Teluk Tempoyak at 11:45 a.m. Teluk Tempoyak is where one of my late father's older brother lived, and it has been many years since I last went there. Although the road leading to Teluk Tempoyak makes me feel unfamiliar at first due to new houses built there, the place itself is unmistakable.

At Teluk Tempoyak.

As soon as we arrived, we were lead to this stilt house, where it was erected above water with a number of pillars. It was here we were served lunch by my late father's older brother (my uncle) and his family members. What I really liked about this stilt house is the amazing view of the sea, and we can clearly see the Penang Second Bridge from our location. I even saw a pair of Brahminy Kites catching fish too.

The stilt house.

Penang Second Bridge, from the stilt house.

Fishing boats.

LATE NOON

We left Teluk Tempoyak at about 3 p.m. and made our way to Penang War Museum. It was the first time we visited the museum, and from the reviews my sister read about, it was described as 'eerie'.

Penang War Museum entrance.

Unfortunately, we only reached up to the ticket counter only and didn't buy tickets, as my sister decided to bring us back to the hotel early.


EVENING

At 5:15 p.m., I left the hotel room with my mother to buy murtabak at Hameediyah restaurant, where I even took a number of photos while we were walking to the restaurant.

The fire hydrant, red paint peeled off. I took a photo of this same fire hydrant back in 2014.
Trishaws with tourists.
Making our way to Hameediyah restaurant, at Campbell Street.
Hameediyah Restaurant, closed.

As soon as we reached Hameediyah restaurant, we were disappointed to find out that it was closed. We soon left Campbell Street for Kapitan restaurant.


NAAN & TANDOORI REVIEW: KAPITAN RESTAURANT

I ordered one tandoori set to share with my mother, and all I can say that it is a wise decision for me to do that. Why is that? It is because, both the naan bread and tandoori chicken we got were HUGE. In fact, Kapitan's tandoori set with one naan bread is enough to feed two people! Satisfying indeed!

Kapitan's tandoori set with plain naan bread. The tandoori chicken and naan were large enough for two people to eat, hence the need for another plate.

We left Kapitan restaurant for another visit to Vickram's stall to buy Indian sweets, and finally went back to our hotel room to rest and start anew the next day.

At Vickram's stall, again.

To be continued...

No comments: