09 December 2016

Penang Trip, Day Five, 04/12/2016: Going Home

At Queen Street, Penang.

Continued from Day Four, this article is about Day Five of my Penang Trip. On that day, we had our brunch and rode the ferry on our journey home. This is also my last Penang Trip blog post.


BREAKFAST AT LIYAQAT ALI'S, AGAIN

I brought my mother to Liyaqat Ali's Nasi Kandar establishment to buy our last Nasi Kandar Breakfast this time. As usual, I would order the exact same thing, but this time, I asked for some okras, since the cabbage was unavailable.

The usual Nasi Kandar drenched in kuah campur and a fried chicken, but with some okras instead of cabbage.

CHECK OUT, BRUNCH AT A DAWOOD'S

We checked out of Ar-Raudhah hotel at 11:00 a.m. and made our way to Queen Street for brunch. This time, we went to A Dawood restaurant for our brunch meal, where I used to have my meals occasionally whenever I went for a trip to Penang.

A Dawood Restaurant
Once we got there, we ordered what we wanted to eat for brunch. They also served rasam, a South Indian soup.


A jug of rasam with a cup filled with it.

Although rasam is a soup, it was served in jugs and poured into a cup for consumption after meals. As for the taste, it was spicy and a bit sour. Rasam was also known to have health benefits; one of them is that it's good for one's digestive system.

After we had our meals, my sister and her children went back to the car, while me and my mother went to Vickram sweets & snacks stall for the last time before we got home.

At Vickram's stall on our last day of our Penang Trip.
There, we bought a total of ten packets of coconut candy, one halwa, one palkova and one laddu. The coconut candy tasted sweet, much like the palkovas I loved, but with dessicated coconut and it was pink in colour. After we bought them, the stall owner gave us a free gift: a packet of jalebi. The one sold at Vickram's has the appearance of short, orange-coloured cheese doodles instead of coil-like shapes. It tasted a bit oily and sweet, and it is almost similar to the kuih keria, but slightly sweeter.

Both of us got into the car and went straight to Raja Tun Uda ferry terminal after that.


THE FERRY RIDE: GOING HOME

Queueing up to ride the ferry at Raja Tun Uda terminal, 12:15 p.m.

We reached Raja Tun Uda ferry terminal at 12:15 p.m. and waited for our turn to ride the ferry. Three minutes later, the long queue of cars started moving, but we didn't make it onto the ferry. Good thing is, we were the first to ride the next ferry that had departed Sultan Abdul Halim ferry terminal for our location.

While waiting for our ferry to arrive, I went out of the car to take photos.


Finally, at 12:30 p.m., we finally rode our ferry, Pulau Talang-Talang. Once again, me, like many other passengers onboard the ferry, went out of the car to take photos. I also went up the upper deck of the ferry to take photos from there.

Onboard the ferry Pulau Talang-Talang, waiting for departure. 12:39 p.m.



While I was on the upper deck of the ferry, I noticed that it was calmer and less noisy than the lower deck. Not only that, there was less vibration on the upper deck of the ferry, too.

At the top deck of the ferry.

Another photo, from the top deck of the ferry.

Ferry passengers on the lower deck, with Penang Bridge on the background.

The ferry Pulau Angsa, departing for Raja Tun Uda ferry terminal, Penang Island
KOMTAR tower from afar. Goodbye, Penang. I hope I shall visit you again sometime...

At 12:57 p.m., almost all passengers went back into their cars as the ferry was ready to dock at Sultan Abdul Halim terminal, but I stayed outside the car to take photos until a minute later, I went back into the car. The best thing about that day's ferry ride was, instead of going straight, the ferry made a sharp right turn to the terminal, also known here as 'konar baring'.

Approaching Sultan Abdul Halim ferry terminal.

We finally reached the terminal at 1:05 p.m. and moved on for our journey home.


CONCLUSION

The five day trip to Penang was a bittersweet experience. The 'sweet' part was that I have had visited places I never been to, such as Fort Cornwallis, Padang Kota Lama (Esplanade) and Miami Beach, Batu Ferringhi. The second thing was the food, especially, Nasi Kandar; it was great. Finally, I am also happy because I've finally rode the quadracycle, and it was the funniest experience ever!

The 'bitter' part was that I failed visiting other places of interest, such as Batu Ferringhi's Night Market. In fact, I am dying to go there just to buy a jade pendant at the jade seller's stall as a present for someone. Next was that I didn't have the chance to go to KOMTAR, where I was planning to go to. Finally, perhaps the most disappointing moment ever was the murtabak I bought at Hameediyah; it was no longer the best murtabak I've ever had.

And that's all there is to write. The End.

More photos here: https://goo.gl/photos/hCQgcjanP14cGswX7

RemainUnknown522 Out.

No comments: