22 March 2018

Making Chicken Mayo Onigiri

Chicken Mayo Onigiri.
It has been a while since I last made onigiri. Ever since my sister bought for me an onigiri mould, I can now make onigiri more easily. And so, I would like to show how I made Chicken Mayo Onigiri, this time, using the onigiri mould to make it.


PREPARATION


As shown above, these are the ingredients I bought to make Chicken Mayo Onigiri:

  • Calrose Rice (Sumo brand)
  • Mayonnaise (Kewpie Japanese Mayonnaise)
  • Seaweed (Tao Kae Noi Big Bang Classic Flavour)
  • Raw Chicken (Boneless Chicken Breast)


So all that's left now is to make the Chicken Mayo Onigiri.


MAKING THE CHICKEN MAYO


First, I took a piece of boneless chicken breast and placed in onto a steamer tray and covered it, steaming it between 10 to 30 minutes.


Once I am confident that the chicken has cooked, I placed it into a plate and tearing the chicken into big pieces, just to make sure that all the chicken meat has been cooked.


Next, I shred the chicken meat until it looked like in the picture above.


Finally, I put the mayonnaise onto the shredded chicken, and mixed it altogether.


COOKING THE RICE


First, I washed one cup of Calrose rice once, drained the water and put the rice into the rice cooker. I later put one cup of water and about 1/2 teaspoon of salt into the rice cooker and let it settle for 30 minutes before cooking.


Once 30 minutes have passed, I closed the rice cooker's lid and cook the rice.


Once the rice has cooked, I took a large plate and placed the rice onto the plate, emptying the rice cooker's pot. All that's left for me now is to let the rice cool down before making the onigiri.


MAKING THE ONIGIRI


In order to make the onigiri, I first prepared a bowl full of salt water, a small spoon and one small onigiri mould. The onigiri mould I have was bought at DAISO by my sister, and it comes in two sizes: one big, one small.


At the same time, I took one large sheet of seaweed and cut one strip (as shown above) using a pair of scissors.


Now, I took the onigiri mould and put in some of the rice with the spoon, filling almost half of the mould and using my fingers to press the rice, so that there is enough space to fill in the chicken mayo and covering it up with rice later on.


Next, I filled the centre of the moulded rice with chicken mayo...


...and finally, I covered the top with rice.


To make the onigiri shape, I took the onigiri mould's press and put it on top of the mould, pressing it as firmly as I can...


...until the rice sticks nicely, covering the chicken mayo.


Now, to remove the moulded onigiri, I simply press at the triangular-shaped cutout carefully, shaking the onigiri mould at the same time.


And this is the result. All that's left is the seaweed.


I folded the seaweed to the onigiri, and this is the end result, just like I usually see on Anime shows: a perfect, rounded triangle-shaped onigiri.


Once again, I repeated the same steps to make them, and it's done!

For your information, one cup of Calrose rice is enough to make between 5 to 6 small onigiri, but in the photo above, I made five of them; But there is three, as I ate the other two. (I was hungry at that time, so, what do you expect?)

And that concludes my Chicken Mayo Onigiri post.


RemainUnknown522 Out.

No comments: