07 July 2016

Hari Raya Moments

Jars containing Kuih Raya and Duit Raya envelopes.

1. Before I begin, I would like to wish to all Muslims a Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri. To be honest, it has been years since I haven't celebrated a rather lively Hari Raya, and last year was one of those times (good reason for that, since my father passed away on that year).

2. To begin with, back in my childhood days, Hari Raya Aidilfitri celebrations were quite lively.

3. Whenever the end of Ramadan comes near, me and my family would often go on a balik kampung trip to my grandparents' (my late father's parents) house at Pulau Pinang to celebrate Hari Raya Aidilfitri there; Pulau Pinang is also my birthplace and the place where the majority of my family members and relatives come from.

4. Celebrating Hari Raya at Pulau Pinang were the happiest moments ever, especially at my grandparents' house.

5. At day, there's the ketupat, rendang, kuah kacang and kuih raya served; Not forgetting, the Duit Raya given, which most children would often get.

6. At night, I would go out and play with sparklers or Roman Candles with some of my cousins and friends living near my grandparents' house; We even played with 'Whistling Moon Traveler' rockets or 'Thunder Clap' rockets.

7. After celebrating at my grandparents' house, I would come along with my family to go visiting my relatives throughout Pulau Pinang; It was the happiest Hari Raya moments I've ever had.

8. Unfortunately, that changed after my grandfather passed on in 2004, then followed by my grandmother's passing in 2012.

9. Since late 2012, I no longer have another balik kampung trip to Penang for Hari Raya celebrations; That, combined with my father and cousin's passing, makes last year's Hari Raya celebration a rather quiet one.

10. Even if I did go on a trip to Pulau Pinang lately, it was not a balik kampung trip; Instead, it was a travel to visit a number of interesting places and also, enjoying one of my favourite foods called Nasi Kandar (Pulau Pinang is also known as 'Food Heaven' as there are lots of good food there).

11. Thankfully, yesterday morning's Hari Raya celebration really brings back those memories of a lively Hari Raya celebration, as my eldest sisters along with their children are at the house, although it lasted for one day only.

To end this post, once again,

SELAMAT HARI RAYA AIDILFITRI


RemainUnknown522 Out.

No comments: