09 July 2021

COVID-19 Vaccination, First Dose (UPDATED: 12/07/2021)


Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic, I stopped writing new blog posts due to stress. Honestly, it was stressful to see the neverending new cases, the highest new daily case ever recorded (as of the date this post was first written) was on 29th May 2021, at 9020 new cases! To make matters worse, Selangor kept on recording unbelievably high number of COVID-19 cases daily, to the point that a two-week Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) was enforced at 8 districts (daerah) and 34 townships (mukim) in Selangor, starting from 3rd July 2021.

In this new blog post, it's about my appointment for the first dose of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine on 9th July, at WTCKL (formerly called PWTC).


INTRODUCTION

I got my appointment after trying to register a spot at the official website, but it was an absolute disaster to begin with. On 26th May at 12:00 p.m. when the registration was opened, I tried registering for an appointment at UKM, but I couldn't get it. So, I tried booking a spot at WTCKL, and the same problem occured. In fact, every time I tried booking a spot, I always get the message that says 'Fully Booked'. Even booking for waiting list also gave the same result. An hour after that, registration was closed, much to my anger.

When I thought that all hope was lost, the next day (27th May), I got a notification from MySejahtera app and found that I was given an appointment for the first dose of AstraZeneca vaccine at WTCKL on 9th July at 12:00 p.m. I initially chose to get mine at UKM, since I want to get my first dose along with my mother on the same day, and I also find it safer to drive to the vaccination centre rather than having to ride a train to get there.


GETTING THERE

After so many considerations, I decided to drive to the vaccination centre rather than taking the Komuter to Putra station and taking a walk to WTCKL. This decision was made after my eldest sister advised me to do so, as it is safer.

I left home at about 10:00 a.m. Driving to WTCKL is a bit difficult, especially within KL, due to the fact that I haven't driven to KL for a long time due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Due to the EMCO enforced, there are roadblocks. The first one is located near Putra Mahkota toll booth, which is also after the exit to Lotus's (formerly Tesco).

Driving at the highway is a breeze. It was smooth sailing from Putra Mahkota to Sungai Besi toll. Then came the second roadblock, located a few hundred metres after the toll booth. There is another, southbound roadblock near Sungai Besi toll, which I went through later, right after I got my first vaccine.


AT THE VACCINATION CENTRE

I arrived there at 10:42 a.m. I parked at Sunway Putra Mall, which is within walking distance to WTCKL. However, I got lost for a while, since I haven't been there for a very long time. Thankfully, the guards at the shopping mall showed me the way, and I finally went back to the right track.

Making my way to WTCKL. This is at the pedestrian bridge, linking WTCKL to Sunway Putra Mall.

Arriving at WTCKL.

Somehow, it feels a bit nostalgic. The last time I went there was in December 2016. This time, however, it's different. There are checkpoints to go through, with RELA and even APM (Malaysian Civil Defence) personnel guarding the checkpoints. There are also MySejahtera QR codes for visitors to scan, and automatic hand sanitiser dispensers placed there.

That aside, I went past the checkpoints for Dewan Merdeka.

First checkpoint. My appointment is at Station 2.

Making my way inside WTCKL.

One of the automatic hand sanitiser dispensers placed there. Behind it are a camera which detects the visitors' temperature and an LCD screen displaying a video of it.

Second checkpoint, guarded by a RELA personnel. One must show their vaccine appointment on their MySejahtera app to the RELA personnel.

Making my way to Dewan Merdeka...


Going up the escalator...

Arriving at Dewan Merdeka. There is another checkpont behind me (I didn't take a photo at that time), with Civil Defence personnel guarding it.

Arriving at Dewan Merdeka, I arrived at another checkpoint; This time, I was given two consent forms, where I need to fill in before taking the vaccine. Each consent form is written in two languages; one in Malay language, the other in English language. There are also chairs at the waiting area for those who are taking the vaccines, an LCD screen displaying the Queue Management System, and an example of how to fill in the consent form.

Once my number has been called, I left Dewan Merdeka and headed straight to another area.

This checkpoint is where I was given a consent form.

The waiting area.

In this photo are the LCD displaying the QMS, and an example on how the consent form should be filled in.


Making my way to the vaccination station, I decided to take a few photos before I kept my phone and my body cam (it was an action camera, actually). Turns out, photography and videography are not allowed in that area. From what I can remember, I need to scan a MySejahtera QR code using the appointment feature and show my IC, then I need to send my consent form to a doctor at another counter, before proceeding to the cubicle where I got my vaccine.

Making my way to the next area.

Queueing up to give my IC and consent form.

Waiting to meet the doctor at one of the counters before going to the cubicles. This is the last photo I took before I got my vaccine.

At the vaccination cubicle, I scanned another QR code, then the staff in charge showed me the syringe containing the 5ml AstraZeneca vaccine. I got vaccinated between 11:38 a.m. and 11:39 a.m. As someone who suffered from trypanophobia once, let me tell you this; It's not that painful! I was nervous at first because of my past experience, but it didn't take long before I finally got injected with the vaccine.

All I can say is: Wow; Just, WOW!

After I got vaccinated, I arrived at another counter, where I was given a card indicating my next appointment, and I need to wait at the Observation Area before I can leave. Normally, AstraZeneca's vaccine interval is 12 weeks. However, due to the newer COVID-19 variants, my next appointment for the second dose of the vaccine is 9 weeks from now. And so, my next appointment schedule is on 10th September.

I finally left the Observation area at 11:55 a.m. for home. I even asked one of the visitors to take my photo at a booth with the message 'I Have Been Vaccinated' before leaving WTCKL.

At the Observation Area.

Leaving for the exit.

SIDE EFFECTS (UPDATED: 12/07/2021)

There are no serious side effects as of the update (12/07/2021, 9:20 p.m.). The only side effect I experienced is pain at the injection site, and has already subsided.


That's all there is to write about. The End.


RemainUnknown522 Out.

No comments: