08 December 2018

Photography On A 10-year Old Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Updated: 16/12/2018)


As a Sony RX100 user, I loved its image quality. However, the Sony RX100 has no viewfinder, which is one of the features I personally love (and need) on DSLRs and on some MIL (mirrorless interchangeable lens) cameras.

And so, back on 28th November, my aunt gave me one of her DSLR cameras she used: the Canon EOS 450D. It is a 10-year old DSLR camera using Canon's 12.2 megapixel, 1.6x crop factor APS-C sensor.

THE CAMERA


The Canon EOS 450D is obviously a DSLR. Later models also use the same design, with some changes (for example, the EOS 750D has a swivel touch screen). On the front is the lens, the hand grip, lens release button, AF light, infra-red sensor for remote control, and a flash button.


On the back is the viewfinder (eyecup missing), dioptre adjustment dial, buttons for various settings, a proximity sensor, and a fixed screen. The proximity sensor is no longer added as a feature starting from the EOS 600D model due to the use of an articulating screen and to keep costs down (the EOS 77D has one, but it is pricey).


On the top is the hot shoe, pop-up flash, mode dial, power switch, shutter button, ISO button, and the Main dial for adjusting settings.

Although I didn't take a photo of its sides, the right side (from behind) is the SD card slot, and the left is where ports for Video output, remote, and USB is located, covered with a rubber cap.


This is the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, the first generation of 18-55mm lens range with lens-based image stabilisation, which came as a kit with this camera. While I find this lens is a good lens; unfortunately, as Nasim Mansurov of Photography Life explained here, this lens is also prone to dust (this will be shown later).


USER EXPERIENCE, FROM THE AUTHOR'S VIEW

Firstly, handling. As I was planning to buy my own DSLR or MILC for quite a while now, I have tested many of those cameras for comfortable handling. The Canon EOS 450D I currently have here, feels comfortable in my hand. All the buttons are easily accessible using my right hand, and I can also change settinngs easily.

Of all the DSLRs I tried and tested, I personally prefer entry-level models like the 1300D or the 200D for its comfortable grip. My eldest sister also owned a 750D she bought from her friend, which I oddly find a bit heavy, although at a camera shop where I tested the 200D and 750D, the owner suggested me getting the 750D as he finds that the 200D is too small for my hands. The 800D and 77D, however, not only feels too big, but also heavy.

Of all the EOS DSLR series I tested, I personally liked the 200D. While it shares the same 9-point autofocus system as the 450D (1 cross-type centre AF point), it has much better Live View focusing and is good for videography, which I sometimes do with my Sony RX100 camera.

If I was going to buy my own DSLR someday, the Canon EOS 200D would be my first choice. Other options include the Nikon D3300. It's a 2014 model, but what I liked about the D3300 is its good video quality and a microphone jack for attaching an external stereo microphone.

Anyway, back to the 450D: When I first started shooting with it, my hands tend to shake whenever I am trying to focus, causing blurry photos. But after a while, I'm starting to improve my handling of the camera and keep it steady. I am also worried by the camera's mirror slap at first, but I finally got over it.

Airliner, f/7.1, 1/100, 55mm, ISO100

Photos taken by this camera is actually quite good, if you use the right settings and lens, that is. The 18-55mm lens provided with this camera is good, but it is unused for a long time. Not only that, this lens is prone to dust; I noticed some dust specks in some of my images when it was taken at its maximum zoom, and the only way to prevent it is to either avoid zooming to 55mm focal range, or cropping the image. I also checked the camera's image sensor for dust, but found nothing.


As shown above, the red arrow shows where one of the easily visible dust speck is. However, I can simply crop it to remove it.


Another thing I didn't like on this camera is the viewfinder coverage. As it uses a pentamirror like most of entry-level DSLRs do (except Pentax, which uses a pentaprism), it only gives 95% coverage. That means, there are some unwanted elements would appear at the edge of the photos taken, as shown in the picture above. This is one of the main reasons I was considering to buy a Mirrorless camera or a Pentax DSLR.

Unfortunately, not only Pentax has mediocre video quality compared to its rivals, there are also aperture block problems with some of the Pentax entry-level models, such as the K-50 for example. Mirrorless cameras, on the other hand, have shorter battery life than DSLRs; the Sony a6000, which I liked and has great features, also has a 310-shot battery life when using its viewfinder.

One thing I noticed on this camera, when I used Auto ISO setting, the camera's minimum ISO tends to set at ISO200 minimum and ISO800 max. The lowest ISO setting is ISO100 and the highest is ISO1600; these two ISO settings can only be set manually. This actually bothers me when shooting handheld in low light or at night, as the fastest possible shutter speed tends to make photos appear blurry, causing me to keep as still as possible just to take the sharpest photo I can.

Alright, enough of the drawbacks. This camera sure is 10-years old and has its limitations today, but I really enjoyed using it, especially when focusing through the viewfinder rather than Live View. In fact, once I started snapping one photo, I can't stop taking another photo, to the point that I didn't realise that I have taken almost seven photos of the same subject! What's more, this camera works best when using PSAM (Program, Shutter, Aperture and Manual) modes; I enjoy using these four modes, especially P mode, that I rarely need to use Auto mode at all!

And that's all there is to write.

RemainUnknown522 Out.