07 November 2017

E:62:10 Error Code on Sony Cyber-Shot RX100 (Updated: 10/03, 1105 Hrs)

After three years of serving me as my one and only photography tool, my Sony Cyber-Shot RX100 is now having an E:62:10 error, which means that the image stabilisation has malfunctioned.

Although the camera can be used to take photos normally, the flashing error code not only annoys me, but also, photos appear to look similar to what a digital camera without image stabilisation would capture when your hands are shaky.

I guess my worst fears did come true, after all.

I used this camera for my DIY dashboard camera mount project, but one thing that bothers me so much is the strong vibration from my car, which caused the camera to vibrate as well. So far, this is the only worst treatment I've given to my camera, but problems did not happen too soon.

Instead, it happened really slowly.

It all started one night, on 8th September, when I tested the dashboard camera mount while driving, when the video stopped recording due to this error related to the recording media (memory card). At that time, the E:62:10 error did not happen, but it was here that I immediately stopped using the dashboard camera mount.

However, about two weeks after that, it happened. When I was trying to take a photo in full zoom using Manual Focus and fixed to my tripod; The camera, while functioning normally at that time, suddenly gave the E:62:10 error. Thankfully, after switching off and removing both the battery and memory card and restarting the camera, the problem was gone.

However, it didn't last long, when the error code reappeared again on 24th October, and finally, early this month.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

As it turns out, I'm not the only RX100 user experiencing this problem, as there are some users who had experienced this similar problem since 2012, the year when the Sony RX100 was launched:

As shown in the link above, the solution to the problem is, with the battery and memory card removed, gently slap the sides of the camera. I've tried, and it was a temporary solution, as the error reappeared again. Not only that, I find it a rather ridiculous and potentially damaging way to solve the problem!

(UPDATE:10.03.2018) After countless efforts in finding out what caused the problem, I think I have found out the real cause of it: myself (how embarassing, but that's the truth!). It seems that I forgot to switch off SteadyShot when using the tripod.

To be honest, I didn't know anything about this, until I looked up in some articles about using a camera with a tripod. Turns out, I have been using this camera with SteadyShot switched on and using the tripod at the same time for quite a while, but the problem did not appear sooner.

Guess I need to start learning about proper camera use all over again...

RemainUnknown522 Out.