08 June 2016

Review: Remax OTG micro USB to USB 2.0 plug

As an Android smartphone and tablet user, there are times where I need to transfer some files to a USB flash drive when I am not using my laptop. Unfortunately, I can't do any file transfer without an OTG (on-the-go) cable or plug.

And so, Remax, a company based in Hong Kong, introduced an OTG plug for use with Android smartphones and tablets called the Remax OTG.

As I have never made a review of any kind of device, this will be my first, so my review may not be quite good, actually.

ABOUT THE DEVICE

The Remax OTG plug in its package.
As shown in the photo above, the device is small and is sold in a rather large package, larger than the device itself. I bought this a week ago at a computer accessories shop in Bandar Seri Putra at the price of RM20, and I bought it after an OTG cable I previously bought snapped off. The OTG cable that snapped off which I previously bought was priced at RM15, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired, though.


THE AUTHOR'S REVIEW

The OTG plug, removed from the package.
Unlike the previous OTG cable, I liked this device for its small size, and I can easily carry it in my small right pocket of my jeans. I also liked the slightly faster response (based on my observation, that is) of any USB flash drive connected to any of my Android devices when using this device, compared to the OTG cable I used to have.

Example of the device in use, plugged to my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 tablet with a Kingston DataTraveler flash drive attached.
I used the Remax OTG plug mostly on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 tablet, and I prefer using it while holding the tablet horizontally. I need to be careful while holding the tablet vertically, as, if I was not careful, I may cause the OTG plug to break, since the micro USB port is placed at the bottom of the Samsung tablet.

Another example of the device in use, plugged to my Sony Xperia ZR smartphone with a Kingston DataTraveler flash drive attached.
Although I rarely used the OTG plug on my Sony Xperia ZR smartphone, I did try using it mostly for testing purposes, though. As the micro USB port is located on the top left side of the phone, I have no problems using it while holding the phone in my hand, as the plug is placed horizontally.


VERDICT

To conclude this post is my verdict on the Remax OTG. I liked the Remax OTG's small size, where I can just simply keep it in my small right pocket of my jeans. Based on my observation, response time for a USB flash drive when connecting to a tablet of smartphone is slightly faster than using an OTG cable. I have owned both the OTG cable and this OTG plug, and I do notice the differences when using both of them.

Unfortunately, being small does have its own problems. If one was not careful, this OTG plug can easily be misplaced or become missing. Secondly, this OTG plug is best used horizontally (similar to the two photos earlier), as based on my observation, using it on Android devices with the micro USB port located at the bottom (example: my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7) may cause it to break.

Will I recommend this to anyone? Yes, as long as one was careful when using it.

RemainUnknown522 Out.