01 January 2020

Comic Fiesta 2019 Two-Day Coverage: My First Disappointment Ever


Before I begin this post, I would like to wish readers (or none of it) a Happy New Year. I have stopped writing for a long time due to creative block brought on by depression. That's right. I am suffering from depression, and it's real.

Anyway, this blog post is about my yearly, 2-day visit to Comic Fiesta. Once again, KL Convention Centre is the chosen venue for the event. Unlike in most of my posts, I have finally decided to put only a select few photos for this post, and more can be found in my Google Photos album. Not only that, I decided not to watermark my photos for now.


DAY ONE


On this year's Comic Fiesta, the organisers have introduced crowd control to avoid overcrowding inside the event hall. The security checks are still there, just like last year. However, from my observation, the event halls are still overcrowded, even with crowd control enforced. Early Bird ticket holders will always get inside 30 minutes early before the on-site ticket buyers.


Once I got inside, I would, as always, take photos of the available exhibitons. I noticed a new exhibitor present, and one exhibitor absent. Illegear, a Malaysian company selling customizable, Clevo-based gaming computers, makes an appearance. Azur Lane, which was present last year, is now absent this year.


Outside is where cosplayers gather around. On Day One, MilSim cosplayers are almost absent. The reason? 21st December is also the last day of KL Summit 2019. Turns out, there is a Facebook post warning cosplayers not to cosplay in military clothing, fearing a huge international incident that would eventually make ACG events in Malaysia no longer possible.


Venturing outside the halls is my biggest mistake; As Comic Fiesta now enforced crowd control, I had to queue up and wait for a while until I can get inside the halls. So, I left the queue and went to the food court for lunch. Once finished, I went to the stage to watch the opening ceremony. Honestly, I disliked last year's opening ceremony and prefer a short one like this year's and 2017's Comic Fiesta.





Anyway, after I finished recording the opening ceremony, I left Comic Fiesta for home.

More photos can be found here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/84ybCn8HabuHFrMJ7

















DAY TWO


On Day Two, I decided to try cosplaying. However, much to my disappointment, it turns out that the changing rooms are now gone, as the Pokemon tournament section have taken too much space. Turns out, I didn't check the event's floor plan. So when I checked again, it was true; there is no changing room! So, I asked one of the Comic Fiesta volunteers, and she told me to change clothes at the convention hall's restroom.

Seriously? The restrooms? I disagree, as it is an improper place to change my clothes there. And besides, this is a convention hall, not a school! (FYI, back in my school days, the restrooms are the place where students change their clothes after PE class!)


It was here that I finally found out that being a photographer has more drawbacks. As I only took photos, I forgot to try playing any of the games available, especially Honkai Impact 3, the game I used to play before. I stopped playing and uninstalled it from my phone, as the game is taking up too much space. And speaking of Honkai Impact, during the Time Attack event, one player achieved a record clear time of 1 minute 7 seconds.


On both days, I discovered that someone is trying to steal from my backpack. I noticed that my backpack's pouch zipper tended to open for no reason. Because of this, I would always make sure that the zipper is closed properly. Not only that, on Day Two, I nearly went into a panic attack and almost caused a commotion at the security checkpoint when I discovered that my backpack pouch zipper was opened without warning!

I guess it is true that there are thieves at Comic Fiesta, trying to steal from patrons!

Did I buy anything on this year's Comic Fiesta? Yes. I bought three keychains and a poster from Kurechii's booth, two T-Shirts from Doujin Tenka Booth, and a pin badge from one of the sales booths (I didn't read the booth's name, though).

Speaking of Kurechii, at Kurechii booth, not only they are selling merchandise such as keychains, posters and postcards, they are also showcasing a sequel to their famous game Postknight, called Postknight 2. There is a touch display at the booth that shows a number of sketches for Postknight 2. One thing I can confirm is, Postknight 2 allows players to choose to play either as a male or a female character.

This is the touch display that shows the early development sketches for Postknight 2. Here is the sketch of the character Magnolia.
I took more photos on Day Two. More photos of exhibits (plus annoyance from stupid photobombers!) and cosplayers can be found in the link below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XJ4dJLMAjGvGeRCq9










Master Roshi cosplayer. Behind him is a banana taped to a wall...

This cosplayer is cosplaying as Rita Rossweisse in Umbral Rose outfit.


WRYYYY!!!
One of the rarest cosplays ever: Keluang Man!


CONCLUSION

To wrap up this writing, Comic Fiesta 2019 is the first ever to disappoint me. It's like 2016 all over again (I didn't cosplay on that year because of my acne problem), but much worse. It may seem trivial, but the decision to remove changing rooms for cosplayers is the worst decision ever made by Comic Fiesta. The restroom, honestly, is an improper place to change costumes, as it is dirty due to frequent use by patrons.

Not only that, it really does pay to be a photographer rather than a patron here at Comic Fiesta; I only took photos and did not try playing any of the available games there! I really missed Honkai Impact 3 so much...

Still, I did buy something there, such as T-shirts, keychains, a poster, and a pin badge. That, is what I call 'Consolation Prize'.

And that is all to write about. The End.


RemainUnknown522 Out.

No comments: