26 January 2019

New External Hard Disk

It has been five years since I used a WD Elements 1 terabyte external hard disk to store personal data, and it is now almost full, with 5 gigabyte of free space left. And so, three days ago, I bought a new, 2 terabyte external hard disk from Shopee and it arrived yesterday.


And so, this is the external hard disk I bought: a 2TB Toshiba Canvio Advance. This external HDD comes in four colours with a glossy finish; black, red, blue, and white. The one I bought here is blue, and I loved its beautiful glossy finish.


Inside the box are four things: the hard drive itself, a USB 3.0 cable, quick start guide and warranty statement. As stated on the box, the Canvio Advance comes with a 3-year limited warranty.


As shown above, this is how the Toshiba Canvio Advance 2TB compared to my WD Elements 1TB. The indicator LED light on the Canvio is located on top, and is also in two colours: white and blue. As of the photo taken, the light is blue. I also noticed that, when I started up my laptop with the Canvio connected, a white light lit up, then changed to blue.

Other than the LED light, the Canvio Advance HDD's case is flat, while the WD Elements has rounded top corners. Not only that, the Canvio Advance has no rubber feet at all.


Using CrystalDiskInfo, here are the details and health status of the Toshiba Canvio Advance 2TB. Inside the beautiful glossy case, Toshiba used the MQ04UBD200 hard disk for the Canvio Advance. The drive itself is pretty quiet with low vibration and operating temperature; much lower than my 1TB WD Elements drive. The only time when the drive's temperature rises up is when using CHKDSK for scanning, and that's it.

While both external hard disks I own have a sleep mode (not shown on CrystalDiskInfo, though), the Toshiba tends to sleep much sooner than the WD one. Not only that, I noticed when I used CHKDSK to scan the drive for errors, the Toshiba went into sleep mode during scanning, causing CHKDSK to stop responding (this doesn't happen to the WD Elements). In order to solve this, I had to run CHKDSK and CrystalDiskInfo at the same time so that the drive doesn't go into sleep mode during scanning. Setting up CrystalDiskInfo's Auto-Refresh to 1 minute surely helps preventing the Toshiba Canvio from going into sleep mode.

And that's all there is to write. The End.


RemainUnknown522 Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment