08 November 2018

Penang Trip: ETS Ride, 23/10/2018

Penang Island from afar. Taken from the ferry.

Penang has been my frequent holiday destination for many years. Almost all the time, I would go there by car. However, there is one mode of transportation I've been hoping to try since childhood: trains. As I love trains, I was hoping that I would go to Penang by train, but have not done so, until now.

And so, back in 23rd October, both me and my mother went for a five-day holiday at Penang Island, where we took the ETS (Electric Train Service) by KTMB to our holiday destination. This is my first ever train ride to Penang, and also the first ETS ride for both of us.


TO KL SENTRAL: BEFORE DEPARTURE TO BUTTERWORTH

Komuter train arriving at Bangi station.

Both of us took a ride by car using Grab ride-hailing service to Bangi Komuter station first. Upon arriving at the station, we waited for a Komuter train to bring us to KL Sentral station, where we would ride the ETS to Butterworth station later. Once thhe Komuter train arrived at 8:16 a.m, we quickly rode the train to KL Sentral.

The journey from Bangi to KL Sentral takes about 55 minutes. As soon as we arrived at KL Sentral, both of us disembarked for the ETS waiting area.

Inside the Komuter, KTM Class 92.

This train track leads to Port Klang line.

Almost there. The train moves very slowly here.

AT KL SENTRAL: WAITING AND BOARDING

At KL Sentral. Making our way to the ETS waiting area.
As soon as we arrived at KL Sentral, both of us stopped to buy our breakfast meal, where we would eat it later inside the ETS. Once we bought what we need, both of us headed up to the waiting area and waited for our 11:25 a.m. ETS train to bring us to Butterworth.

The waiting area. 
Inside the waiting area.



The timetable. Our train is next.

After waiting for a while, at 11:10 a.m, a KTMB staff called us out to board the ETS train. Platforms 1 and 2 are closed due to railway upgrades, so the staff leads us to the Komuter Platform 3, where we boarded the train.

Making our way to Platform 3.


Before boarding the train, we need to show our tickets to the ticket inspector.

Once we got to Platform 3, I finally got the chance to see the ETS train , numbered ETS205, up close. It is a KTM Class 93, an EMU with a sloped, streamlined head resembling a high-speed train. I personally loved the design of this train, and it also reminds me of my childhood imagination: I once imagined that KTMB would operate a 'bullet train' to Butterworth station, except that the train service started at the old Kuala Lumpur station instead of KL Sentral.

This is Platform 3. Originally for Komuter service, it is now used by the ETS service due to railway uprgading projects.

Inside the ETS. This is at Coach B.

Another shot inside the ETS from my seat, at Coach B. Awaiting departure.

ALL ABOARD: TO BUTTERWORTH

We departed from KL Sentral at 11:25 a.m. The ETS we took is the Platinum service, where the train stops at fewer stations than the Gold service and is quicker. The train first stopped at the old KL station to pick up passengers, then departed for our destination. The ETS moves slowly from KL Sentral, passing by stations where the Tanjung Malim Komuter would usually stop. Once the train passed Rawang station, it stopped, waiting for clearance from KTMB's railway signalling.

At KLO (old Kuala Lumpur) station.

The view of KLO train platform, from the train doors.

Departing KLO station.
Located inside the backseat table is a Train Safety Procedure.

Train ticket inspector.

Train tracks. Approaching Rawang station.

Rawang station.

Once cleared by the railway signalling, the ETS departs at full speed, reaching a peak travelling speed of 142km/h. It was here that I occasionally left my seat to explore the train's interior. I also had the chance to take photos from the train's window as it passed by towns, oil palm plantations, train stations and rice paddy fields along the way.

Not only that, it was also raining at Perak on that day, starting just before we reach Batu Gajah.


Approaching Tanjung Malim station.

Tanjung Malim.

The LCD multi-info display. The train speed displayed here tends to be a bit inaccurate, though. As of the photo taken, the train is travelling at 140 km/h.


The Bistro Counter in Coach C. There is a microwave to cook the food we ordered.

This is the surau (Muslim prayer room), located just beside the Bistro Counter.

The toilet at coach D. This toilet's door is different than the one on coach B.
Batu Gajah depot.

A KTM Class 93 ETS at Batu Gajah depot.


STOPOVER AT IPOH

As the ETS train stopped at Ipoh, I disembarked there to take photos of the station before getting back into the train. To be honest, though, this is risky, as I might end up being left at Ipoh, necessitating me to take another ETS to Butterworth!

Hindu temple near Ipoh station. It was raining heavily there.

At Ipoh Station, platforms 2 and 3.

Platform 3.

Another view of Platform 3.

Anyway, after taking photos of Ipoh station, I got back into the ETS train and departed for Kuala Kangsar station. Once again, as usual, I took some photos while inside the train.

Approaching Kuala Kangsar station.

Kuala Kangsar station.

A view from the train doors, at Kuala Kangsar station.
The electric door in Coach C.

To open the door, press this button. This door leads to my seat at Coach B.
The view outside after we left Kuala Kangsar. It was raining at this time.

As soon as the train enters Bukit Merah, I looked on the opposite side to take photos of the oil palm plantations and rice paddy field. Looking at the rice paddy field reminds me of a scene in episode 9 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, where the JoJo team (Jotaro, Joseph, Polnareff, Kakyoin and Avdol) is seen on a train, presumed to be an Eastern & Oriental Express, with the view of rice paddy fields and hills outside the train. Judging from the location shown, I am sure that they are in Malaysia.

Speaking of Eastern & Oriental Express, during our journey to Penang, I saw one Eastern & Oriental Express train heading south towards Singapore, which I didn't get the chance to photograph it, unfortunately.

Oil Palm plantation.

The view from the Bistro Counter seats.

This is what I wrote about earlier. The paddy field and coconut trees are exactly as described, the hills are much further and somewhat hidden from view due to heavy rains, but the flamingos Kakyoin mentioned are actually egrets.


Parit Buntar station.


ARRIVING AT BUTTERWORTH STATION

After departing Parit Buntar station, the train enters Bukit Mertajam junction, stopping at Bukit Mertajam station before heading to Butterworth. It was here that the train begins to move slowly. Not only that, it was also raining quite heavily at Butterworth.

Crossing the Perai river.

Approaching Butterworth station.
Due to the rainy conditions, the train arrived about 20 minutes later than the expected ETA at 3:25 p.m. Once the train arrived at its destination, both me and my mother disembarked at Butterworth, and I even took my chance in taking photos there.

Disembarking at Butterworth, Platform 2.

Station name plaque.

This is the nose design of the KTM Class 93 ETS, which I liked about.

Another view of Platform 2

Train tracks.

As written earlier, is was raining on that day. Both me and my mother exited the station and waited for a charter van to pick us up, bringing us to the ferry terminal. It was here that we would leave Butterworth for Penang Island.

Drop-off / pick up point at Butterworth station.

CONCLUSION

To conclude this writing, the train ride was both memorable and enjoyable. It was the first time in my life to ride a train to Butterworth, and it was also the first ETS ride for me and my mother. Overall, it was one of my best holiday experience yet. As I am also trying to recover from creative block, I might write my five-day holiday experience in Penang later.


RemainUnknown522 Out.