06 October 2014

COSPLAY PROJECT: PART 1

After 1 month of hiatus (thanks to my bad state of health, that is), I have finally returned with this new post. This time, it's about my new cosplay project. As stated back in my Animax Carnival 2014 post, I decided to cosplay as a character from Shingeki no Kyojin.

My interest in cosplay initially started back in early 2009. Being a fan of Detective Conan at that time, I was planning to cosplay as Night Baron, a fictional character in Detective Conan who was created by Shinichi Kudo's father, Yusaku Kudo. However, due to budget constraints, I decided to abandon it completely.

SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN MILITARY UNIFORM'S FEATURES

Example photo from Animax Carnival 2014, showing cosplayers cosplaying as Armin, Rivaille and Mikasa.
As shown in the picture above, the uniform worn by characters from Shingeki no Kyojin, with the exception of the Training Corps instructors, features a list of the following:

  • a short, light brown jacket with three squad badges on both shoulders and front left pocket, and a larger badge on the centre back of the jacket
  • a shirt which differs based on the character wearing it (for example, Armin Arlert wears a white, collared button-up shirt, while Annie Leonhardt wears a white hoodie)
  • a type of body harness for use with the 3DMG (3-dimensional Manoeuvre Gear)
  • a double-hole belt, often worn together with the body harness
  • a dark brown waist sash, covering the hips
  • a pair of white trousers
  • a pair of dark brown, knee-high leather boots

While these features listed above are the usual worn by the cosplayers, I have seen one cosplayer dressed up as Rivaille in his cleaning outfit; and also, I have yet to see any Shingeki no Kyojin cosplayers dressed up as their favourite characters, but without the body harness and waist sash.


BACK TO THE TOPIC: COSPLAY PROJECT

Due to the popularity of the series, and after noticing plenty of Shingeki no Kyojin cosplayers in the two conventions that I've visited, I finally decided to try cosplaying as one. But in order to cosplay, I need to buy the items as stated before. Anyway, here's a checklist of the items bought and items I need to buy:

ALREADY BOUGHT:
shirt
white trousers

NEED TO BUY:
jacket, squad badge is based on my choice
body harness, which includes a double-hole belt
waist sash
boots

And that's all there is to list. The shirt and the trousers are somewhat easy to find, while the other four items, however, requires me to look for a cosplay shop to buy them, and the only place I currently know where I can buy them is a shop located in Sungei Wang Plaza called 'cosplayer.' I wonder if there are other cosplay shops around Kuala Lumpur besides the one I mentioned earlier...

Anyway, time to move on to the items I currently have for my cosplay project:


THE TROUSERS


First up, the trousers. Why I started with the trousers instead of the shirt? It's because the shirt is actually a clue which would determine the character I would be cosplaying as. Anyway, these trousers are UNIQLO Men's Leggings Jeans, size 36 (91cm). I bought this along with a double-hole belt (the belt is different than the one worn by the cosplayers, much to my disappointment) at UNIQLO Mid Valley. I find these trousers fit perfectly and I feel comfortable with it. And the best thing is, it looks nearly similar to the trousers worn by the characters in Shingeki no Kyojin.


THE SHIRT


Secondly, the shirt, which serves as a clue to the character I would be cosplaying as. This shirt, also by UNIQLO, is the Supima Cotton Crew Neck Short Sleeve T-shirt, size L. I bought two of these, but in different colours, at UNIQLO Alamanda Putrajaya; and this one here is chosen solely for my cosplay project. Despite being a size L, this T-shirt feels very comfortable; and surprisingly, the fabric of this shirt makes it feel almost similar to most of my XL-sized T-shirts.

Now that I have shown them and gave the clue, here's the ultimate question: Who is the character from Shingeki no Kyojin I'm going to cosplay as?

The answer shall be revealed (if no-one answered here) in Part 2 of my Cosplay Project.

RemainUnknown522 Out.

No comments: