29 June 2017

New Tablet Case & Keyboard

As I now frequently use my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 tablet for writing here, I am somewhat in need of a physical keyboard, as I am more comfortable with it than the virtual on-screen keyboard. Not only that, my tablet is also in need of a new case, as I have removed the old snap back folio case back in January.

And so, about a week ago, I ordered a new tablet cover case and Bluetooth keyboard from Lazada Malaysia; Both items arrived today, much earlier than the expected date.

THE TABLET COVER CASE


As shown above, this is the tablet cover I ordered. This Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 tablet cover case is priced at RM29.90, and it comes in a white box.


Taken out of the box, I am impressed by this tablet case cover's beautiful, metallic dark blue colour. Here, the Samsung logo is debossed on the bottom right of the cover.


Here is the inside of the tablet case. The inner part of the cover is light grey in colour, while the case is dark blue.


On the photo above shows how the tablet looked like when attached to the case. The polycarbonate case was quite rigid that removing the tablet from the case requires great care. Still, the rigid polycarbonate case offers some good protection for the tablet, and the tablet fits perfectly into the case.

I have also tested the cover for auto-wake and sleep and found out that, despite having a magnet for it, the auto-wake function did not work at all (I have set the tablet to auto-wake when using an auto-wake case, by the way).

Although the tablet case's landscape mode has one option only, I personally prefer this over my previous folio cover. Although it doesn't use magnets to hold the tablet in place, I find that it is much stable; While my old folio case, despite having magnets strong enough to hold it in place, does have a tendency to slip off easily.


The photo above shows how the tablet looked like with the case attached, viewed fom the right side where the power and volume buttons are. As mentioned earlier, the tablet fits perfectly, but pressing the buttons is a little bit uncomfortable, though.


THE KEYBOARD


As shown above, this RM21.50 Bluetooth keyboard (as of the date purchased) comes with a USB cable for charging or connecting to a computer, and both of these items come packed in a brown cardboard box.

This keyboard is both thin and light. On the top, the keyboard is of a beautiful, black brushed metal finish. On the bottom is a silver metal plate secured with 12 screws, but somehow feels a bit loose on one area.


Connecting the keyboard to the tablet is a three-step procedure: first, switch on the keyboard. Next, with the tablet's Bluetooth function switched on, press the 'Connect' button beside the ON/OFF button and the tablet will detect it. Finally, at the tablet's screen, pair the device, key in the required passcode on the keyboard and press Enter and you're ready to use.

Typing on the keyboard is okay, although, as the keyboard is smaller than the one on my laptop, using it takes some time to get used to. Not only that, since I am using it on an Android operating system, there are some things that are different than I used to when using Windows 7. I also noticed that, when I left the keyboard idle for a while, it will sometimes disconnect to the point that I need to switch the keyboard off and on in order to make it connect to the tablet again.

And that's all there is to write.

RemainUnknown522 Out.