01 December 2015

WHY I WILL NEVER STOP USING WINDOWS 7, A.K.A. WHY I WILL NEVER UPGRADE TO A NEWER VERSION OF WINDOWS

WARNING: PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT THE CONTENTS IN THIS POST ARE MERELY BASED ON MY PERSONAL OPINIONS AND MAY OFFEND CERTAIN READERS. IF YOU WISH TO READ, THEN PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I have been using Windows 7 for more than three years now, and honestly, I am EXTREMELY SATISFIED with it. In fact, excluding the hard disk failure incident, my laptop rarely, if ever, suffered from a Blue Screen Of Death at all. Even if it does happen, it was all due to hardware problems such as graphics card problem, which I solved by disabling the graphics card. Right until now, my laptop has NEVER suffered from a Blue Screen Of Death at all.

And so, here are the reasons why I will never stop using Windows 7 (or should I say, NEVER UPGRADE TO A NEWER VERSION OF WINDOWS).


REASON 1: THE GUI (GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACE)

After comparing both Windows 7's Aero Glass GUI and the newer and flat GUI used on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10,
I have decided that I liked Windows 7's Aero Glass GUI the best. Although it was considered 'dated' by Microsoft, I liked it the most because it is much more pleasing to my eyes. In fact, I LOATHED the newer GUI, because not only it was too flat and boring, it is also highly unsuitable for users who enjoy using Desktop mode. It is, however, a different story, when it comes to smartphones or tablets, though. In short, using a Windows 10 laptop makes me feel like using a laptop suffering from an identity crisis (that is, a laptop that 'thinks' it is a tablet).

While it is true that Microsoft introduced the flat GUI in order to make it less resource-intensive (Windows Aero was known to be too resource-intensive), it was too ugly. If you don't believe me, try searching for 'Windows Modern UI ugly' or 'Windows 10 UI too ugly' on Google. Trust me, there are still MANY Windows users who are happier with Windows Aero and wants Microsoft to bring back that said GUI.

And, in case if you don't know, the GUI used on Windows 8 right up to Windows 10 was originally used on Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC for its suitability for low-powered gadgets like the HP iPAQ Pocket PC. Why am I saying this? It is because I owned and used a HP iPAQ Pocket PC before, and I know how its GUI looked like.

However, if you're still not convinced, click the two links below and look at an example screenshot below:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3d1zjp/windows_10_is_buttugly/
http://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

This is an example of a screenshot of Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC. Take a look at the taskbar and you'll know what I mean.
(Image courtesy of Wikipedia)

Will I wait for a newer Windows operating system? Yes, if Windows decided to BRING BACK WINDOWS AERO GUI.

And one last thing:

IF YOU ARE ALREADY COMFORTABLE WITH WINDOWS 8, 8.1 OR 10, PLEASE STOP RIDICULING OR BASHING WINDOWS 7 USERS, BECAUSE NOBODY IS PAYING YOU IN CASH (MONEY) FOR DOING IT!

Also, in return, did I forgot to mention that I DON'T GET REWARDED WITH MONEY for writing this post?


REASON 2: THE MENU SYSTEM

When Windows 8 was first made available to the public, it was so unusual for a number of things, such as the removal of the Start Button and repositioning the Start Button at the hidden 'Charms bar,' and also, replacing the usual Start Menu with a Start Screen. Although some users liked it, other users who are used to a normal Desktop Mode like in Windows 7, LOATHED it and are also ANGERED by the new changes.

As I am already comfortable with the Desktop Mode, even I find the new menu system confusing. In fact, I have tried Windows 8 and 8.1 menu system, particularly the Start Screen, and I was so confused that I got lost several times! What's more, when I opened up the Start Screen, it made me a bit difficult for me to return to the desktop, as the tiles really confused me a lot. Still, with Windows 8.1, the Start Button returns, but the Start Screen remains there.

Although one can bring back the original Windows 7 Start Menu using a third party software, I personally prefer Microsoft to retain the original Start Menu as seen in Windows 7, which is exactly what Microsoft did to Windows 10, albeit with new features. But why I would never change to Windows 10 when Microsoft had already brought back the Start Menu?

Here's the answer: please read REASON 1 that I wrote earlier.


REASON 3: ICONS

Although one can change the icons on Windows 10, I still can't help myself criticising the currently used icons on Windows 10, particularly, the Recycle Bin icon. Why? It's because it looks seemingly similar to the one used on Windows 95 or Windows 98, but with an additional transparency effect. I don't know whether this is true or not, but I believe this is how Microsoft commemorates its 20 years since Windows 95 was launched perhaps???

Still, personally, I believe the icons used on Windows 7 is already good enough, so I don't think that changing it to a supposedly newer icons is going to help, particularly, by flattening them.


REASON 4: FIXED AUTOMATIC UPDATES

This is another problem in Windows 10: Permanently Fixed Automatic Updates. Although automatic updates for an operating system is a good thing, it is actually not a good idea to make it permanent without allowing users to choose other options, such as 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them'. One example reason is that, for some users who frequently use the Internet and at the same time, relying on a fixed Internet data plan (example: 8GB quota), it might interrupt with their work, and also, draining the available data quota. And so, with the said option earlier, users can choose to download at a later time when they are not busy surfing in their web browser.


CONCLUSION

So, there you have it. The reasons why I will never stop using Windows 7, or should I say, the reasons WHY I WILL NEVER UPGRADE TO A NEWER VERSION OF WINDOWS. Need I to say more?

RemainUnknown522 Out.

No comments: