09 May 2015

NEW HARD DISK, BUT INCOMPLETE LAPTOP

Ever since what happened two months ago (click here), I had become too depressed to write anything in this blog. Not only that, next Saturday is my birthday, but it's going to be a very boring day anyway. If only there is someone financially generous enough to make my only birthday wish comes true...

Still, all hope is not lost, as I finally managed to buy a new hard disk for my Sony VAIO SVE14A15FG laptop last Saturday (2nd May).

Unlike the laptop's previous hard disk, this one is a Western Digital Scorpio Blue (WD Blue) WD5000LPVX, an Advanced Format 2.5 inch laptop hard disk with 500GB capacity and 7mm thickness. Initially, I was planning to buy a 1TB hard disk of the same brand, but I decided against it. A 256GB or 240GB SSD (Solid-State Drive) may seem to be a better choice due to its higher speed and better tolerance towards shocks, but it was way beyond my current budget.

Preparations to install the new hard disk.
The new hard disk, installed on the laptop's hard disk bay.
Checking on the laptop's BIOS. The system date was set to M/D/Y format, though.
Although the new hard disk is thinner, it has no problems fitting inside the laptop's hard disk bay. After installing the hard disk, I proceeded to install and reactivate Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 x64 on the laptop and also, reinstalling the required drivers for the laptop. Unfortunately, I can't reinstall the bundled softwares for the laptop, as I forgot to create the recovery discs before the old hard disk's failure happened, making the laptop incomplete.

And so, all that's left for me to do now is to either obtain the recovery discs from Sony Service Centre or sending the laptop for software-based recovery and hinge repairs (the laptop's hinge broke the second time last year). Lastly, I need to send the dead hard disk for data recovery, but that's gonna cost me almost RM3000!

RemainUnknown522 Out.

No comments: